My Personal Money Story
This week while I’m “talking money stuff” and sharing Ann Wilson’s Financial Freedom Workshop series it feels like the perfect time to share this video about my personal Money Story again – it was originally recorded several years ago, but it is still an accurate summary of my money journey to that point.
**NOTE: This was recorded several years ago so the references to an upcoming interview with Ann Wilson are not accurate**
Watch the video or read the transcript here.
In this video I share my money story, starting with the childhood influences that informed my relationship with and behaviour around money and how my beliefs about money informed some of my early life decisions.
- The first job where I earned what was (for my family background) a really significant amount of money and how that healed some of the negative money beliefs from my childhood.
- How I later started earning really serious money and how that led to burn-out and ultimately damaged my relationship with money all over again.
- How it came about that at the age of 41 as I started this business, I was starting out from almost ground-zero despite having had a successful and high-paid career
- What I did after I hired Ann as my money coach in 2014 – which is very opposite to what you might expect – and how this once more healed my relationship with money.
- And what I’ve changed again more recently in order that I feel I’m on track to achieving financial freedom and freedom from long-term money worry.
I hope you enjoy what is very much this “personal” money story. Closely related to this is of course my money story when it comes to my business – now that is a whole other story – and a bit toe curling at times! (Ask me if you want me to share that too!).
Since recording this video and recommitting to my financial freedom journey I have:
- Established a consistent monthly process to help me keep track of my money and and financial freedom plan
- Paid off all personal debt – and not added any more!
- No longer get taken by surprise by large unexpected expenses that end up going on a credit card to be repaid in the “never never”.
- Put the necessary protections in place to ensure that if I had to stop work due to sickness or accident I would have a continued money flow to cover my living expenses
- Withdrew all my savings, investment and pension investments from large financial institutions and now manage those investments myself – which also saves me a fortune in fees
- Learned about the importance of a diversified portfolio and have built diversified investments across the stock market, property investment trusts, bricks & mortar property, precious metals and crypto.
- Built a small portfolio of investment properties that give me a genuinely passive income (this is actually unusual in property – but I knew I didn’t want a second business!).
- When devastating events happen in the world I’m able to donate generously, knowing I can afford it.
Most amazing of all I have:
- Increased my personal net worth by 68%!
- And I’m now in a position where if I had to (or chose to) I could stop work completely and live off my assets (the assets that have all been put in place since I started learning from Ann).
It’s not yet my “freedom figure” but it’s enough to live off, and realising that I’ve hit this figure has been a huge reassurance given all the health challenges I’ve faced in the last 2 years which have confronted me with the harsh reality that I won’t be able to work forever, even if I wanted to.
The next step is my “freedom figure” to allow me to stop work with a sense of financial abundance!
Discover how to create YOUR financial and wealth flow
If you’d like to learn how you could apply some of these very same principles to your own financial life, this week Ann is running her “World of Wealth Workshop – it’s in-depth and completely FREE.
Find out more and register here.
- In this complete training over the course of this week Ann is teaching her complete Financial Freedom Blueprint and the step-by-step process you can follow to help you get control of your money and start building towards your financial freedom in the same way that I’m doing – and no matter what your starting point.
There’s also a Workbook for each of the trainings so you can capture this information for the long term.
I also want to stress that you don’t need a lot of money to make your money work for you – what Ann teaches is not about crazy “get rich quick” schemes focused on having you earn more money – it’s about doing the right things with what you have – even if that’s not very much at all. This works for everyone, no matter how modest your starting point.